Superman versus Batman

This week I was discussing Superman versus Batman with a group of friends when, imagine my surprise, I realized I was the only one out of about ten people who actually liked Superman more. I also found it amusing how in a group of people were everyone was American preferred the "vigilante" while me, the Swede, is all about the "Truth, Justice and the American Way" superhero.

I didn't really get to explain all the reasons for why I liked Superman more before I was booed but I guess I'll talk about the key reasons for liking the blue guy here instead.



Reason number one; I find the fact that Superman has all of these powers; invincibility, heat vision, freeze breath, flying, Super strength and more, and doesn't use them to take over the world a very admirable trait. He could literally destroy Earth but instead he rather help the people.

Reason number two; He doesn't kill, ever. Aside for the 60's TV show, Batman was and is quite vicious and seems to have no patience for "rehabilitating" the criminals. Superman, on the other hand, believes that no matter how many times Lex Luthor, or any other criminal, breaks out of jail, the justice system is something to believe in.

Reason number three; There is a lot of debate about this but I actually think Superman is Clark Kent at heart. I think he was raised by good people who taught him right from wrong so strongly that it translates into everything Superman does. I then think that the AI, built upon the image of his biological father Jor-El, just added to what the Kents had already taught his Kal-El. Bruce Wayne, however, is really Batman at heart. Even though Bruce Wayne grew up with a wonderful caretaker in Alfred and big shoes to fill when it comes to his philanthropist father Thomas Wayne, I believe the death of his parents cloud that so much that the only thing left is a shell of a man and Batman.

Reason number four; Someone once said that Metropolis is New York by day and Gotham is New York by night. I think this starkly shows the difference between Superman and Batman. One brings light and hope while the other one brings vengeance and operates in the shadow.

Reason number five; Despite being an alien, Superman is the epitome of humanity.

And that's why I like Superman more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment