Mel Brooks' Dracula; Dead and Loving It

Last night I re-watched Mel Brooks' Dracula; Dead and Loving It and I was kinda shocked at how un-dated it feels. The movie was made 15 years ago but it still holds up, at least to me, and I can't really say the same for Scary Movie. So why do I still like Mel Brooks' movie but not Scary Movie?

I can't really put my finger on it but it might have something to do with the fact that Brooks stuck to doing a consistent parody of one other movie while Scary movie features small bits of parodies of every scary movie that was hip at the time. It might also have to do with the fact that while Brooks' movie does have a sexual tone to it,it is still subtle but Scary Movie is as unsubtle as can be with its dick-, fart-, and boob jokes.

I mean,take the scene where Mina requests Jonathan to touch her, he says no but she makes him touch her breast and then her father comes in to the room and discovers Jonathan's hand on her breast and gets outraged... at a couple that has been engaged for 5 years! This scene cracks me up even after the 10th time watching it.

In comparison, the sperm fountain scene in Scary Movie. I admit, I laughed the first time I saw it but then the second time I just shrugged my shoulders and every time after that I didn't find it funny because it was so over the top.

In the end, I figured that both movies reflect two different eras, two different types of writers and two different types of style. Mel Brooks is an old-school writer that sticks to the classic slapstick comedy while the Wayans brothers are younger and cruder that appeals to the 12 year old in all of us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment